THE BIOPARCO IN ROME
The Bioparco is one of the oldest zoos in Europe, founded in 1911. It currently hosts nearly 1.000 animals, belonging to over 200 different species. Mammals, reptiles, amphibians and birds live in one of the most charming botanical gardens in Rome, with more than 1.000 trees, some of which are very rare and very old.
What is the role of a zoo?
In recent years the concept of zoos has changed. Zoos today are not “museums of exotic animals” but structures that focus on:
- conservation of endangered species by joining international reproduction in captivity programmes
- environmental education by planning environment-related activities, conventions, exhibitions, educational routes for schools and so on.
The Bioparco is a member of the International Zoo Educators Association (IZE), a professional organization dedicated to expanding the educational impact of zoos and aquariums worldwide.
It is important to know that…
Bioparco is a member of the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA). With more than 300 members in 34 European countries EAZA is promoting wildlife conservation, particularly through internationally coordinated wild animal breeding projects such as the European Endangered Species Programs (EEP).
The Bioparco participates in 21 EEP programs, coordinated by EAZA, with African Wild Dog, Mandrill, Iranian Leopard, Asian Lion and other species.
Most of the animals kept here, like in many other zoos, were born in captivity or have been confiscated by the authorities.
The most important mission of the Bioparco is to educate the public about the uses and the management of natural resources for the conservation of biodiversity.
GROWING UP WITH ANIMALS
Guided routes and interactive activities for groups and schools (advance booking required: commerciale©bioparco.it.
Birthday parties (compleanni©bioparco.it) and Summer camps for children (info©bioparco.it).
At the week-end:
• Animal feeding
• Animal discovering activities
• Entertainment, shows, workshops
FACILITIES AND RELAX
The Bioparco offers:
• Caffè del Parco, with a snack bar, self-service restaurant and roof garden
• 3 snack bars and the “Mascagni”restaurant
• Picnic area
• Location for conferences, conventions and galas (commerciale©bioparco.it)
• sensory trail for blind people
• Free parking at the entrance